Major restorative work and maintenance upgrades are needed to preserve the historical, artistic and architectural integrity of the Basilica of St. John the Baptist. In particular, since the year 2000, a substantial amount of restoration and maintenance work has been carried out. Through the support of private donors and funding from Parks Canada, the Basilica Heritage Foundation has undertaken the following big projects:
- The re-pointing and cleaning of the stone of the Basilica's façade has been completed.
- Eight of the stained glass windows were removed, re-leaded and restored to their original splendor.
- The old exterior doors have been replaced with new handcrafted, historically accurate doors.
- After 21 years of silence, the Bells of the Basilica ring out again over the City of St. John's. First sounded in 1854, the bells have been repaired and re-installed. Two new clocks were purchased and placed in the Tower openings.
Restoration work requires specialized materials and techniques. It is delicate, expensive and important work, which we could not do without the support of many partners, including generous donations from individual citizens.
The Basilica Heritage Foundation has happily established strong working relationships with other agencies that share interest in the history and culture of Newfoundland and Labrador. Frequently, we partner with groups on special projects and share our resources and energies. Agencies we’ve partnered with include:
- Queen Elizabeth II Library Rare Book Collection, Memorial University
- Newfoundland Historical Society
- Association of Newfoundland and Labrador Archives
- Museum Association of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Provincial Archives at The Rooms
- Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Foundation
- Knights of Columbus
- Catholic Women’s League
- The Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador (The Daisy Project)
- Benevolent Irish Society
- Newfoundland and Labrador Health Libraries Association
- Population Therapeutics Research Group, Memorial University
- Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation
- Park’s Canada
- Republic of Doyle, CBC Television Production
- Love and Savagery, Morag Productions.